Fotoget blogspot homepage

To teach my daughter to speak Vietnamese

My experience of teaching my daughter to speak Vietnamese in Switzerland page 2:

Due to the thousands of kilometers away, and due to rare opportunity to meet, so to nurture the love between my daughter Thythy and my parents, it is good to have regular conversations and communications between them.
ThyThy chat weekly with her Vietnamese grandparents over the phone or on Internet. She loves them very much, and even when she was asked about the choice where to live, she would rather live in the U.S. to to be with her grandparents, and her aunts and uncles and her cousins.

To bring Thythy good habits of learning new words, I often chose short stories with common, simple and easy words and read to her when she was a little girl. In each story, if there were words that she had never heard, I usually stopped for several explanations for the meaning of the word before continuing the story. So she often gived notice and asked me when hearing strange words.

Some years afterwards, I let her watch learning-Vietnamese DVD. This way, she heard new words and learned to sing Vietnamese songs, her Vietnamese got better and better. Besides, listening to Vietnamese songs everyday is one of the ways to stimulate the brain for learning a language.

Through my experience, to be successful in teaching the young Vietnamese living overseas, especially the baby with only 50% of Vietnamese origin, the most important thing is that parents have to be very patient.

Read more:
My experience of teaching my daughter to speak Vietnamese in Switzerland page 1
My experience of teaching my daughter to speak Vietnamese in Switzerland page 3
My experience of teaching my daughter to speak Vietnamese in Switzerland page 4